This is a protein shake that my kids and I have been taking and will continue on through maybe forever. My kids have entered the almost-puberty stage and don’t like to eat regularly. I will give them a choice for the school year whether to take the protein shake in the morning for breakfast. Or, if they want to eat food for breakfast, then I will bring the protein shake when I pick them up for school. I started doing the after school shake for my 3rd grade daughter last year and since they are so hungry right after school, it is sure to get scarfed down!
For the Brain:
- Collagen (hydrolyzed type, which dissolves in water)
- Whey (cow, goat or any type you can tolerate)
- Fat as avocado, coconut milk, coconut butter or dairy fat in your milk
- take a vitamin C supplement with this.
- Take your other amino acids, vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Optional: Egg yolk, full of choline and vitamins for the brain.
Use high quality ingredients!
For the Gut:
4. Fiber, covered by the avocado and fruit or can add flax or chia seed meal
6. Resistant Starch*: Unmodified Potato Starch or Plantain flour or green banana flour
*I prefer to take my resistant starch at bedtime with my probiotic supplement. Take yours whenever you take your probiotic food or supplements.
Optional Flavorings, mix-n-match:
- For the Whey above, try Natural Factors Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla.
- Fruit, berries, cherries. Keep stock of frozen fruits on hand.
- Honey or Stevia and/or erythritol. Truvia packets. Rachel uses KAL brand 100% stevia extract powder which is very economical and potent.
- Liquid Stevia extracts come in many flavors.
- Milk (any type you can tolerate if it fits your dietary needs)
- Peanut butter flour (Honeyville brand Organic can be found at Costco)
- Instant coffee granules (look for Mt. Hagen brand. I use decaf.)
- Dandy Blend powder
- Baking cocoa
Add your greenfood powder if you take one!