This is the powdered stuff I mix up a batch at a time. To view the stripped down version, see the Cheat Sheet for this daily protein shake.
Should YOU do it??
Determine your need for each of my suggested ingredients and then use just the ones you need. If you are eating fermented foods, you may not necessarily need the prebiotics. I take them because I cannot eat fermented foods. Each person has different needs.
YOU CAN SIMPLIFY THIS!
To stay easy and economical, determine your ingredients and buy in bulk.
I have a lot of purchasing experience (and have lived in four different states in the past 15 years) and can advise you how to get this stuff as easily as possible. Once you get going, it doesn’t seem as difficult. I’ve been doing this for years and trying to share what works for me and desire to help people find the solution that’s going to work for them. I’ve discovered that I need these ingredients to operate at my best. It helps me be more resilient. It does not make up for a lost night of sleep. Folks, I’m getting more consistently resilient, and recovering some of my lost health over time, by staying on my program.
- hydrolyzed collagen (glycine): excellent source of glycine which is very important to me. It keeps me calm. If I don’t get my shake in the morning, then I take some magnesium glycinate. you can get bovine or porcine or even some that are made from fish (the superior source; I care because I am moving toward rotating my sources of collagen also. I would hate to sensitize to my meat proteins!!
- greenfood powder; Ultimate Superfood Fusion from Z-Natural Foods.com
- Ashwagandha root: https://www.braintropic.com/nootropics/ashwagandha/
- whey protein if you are dairy tolerant. I use vegan protein instead. I use Orgain with greens or Vega with greens as my extra booster pack. This does NOT replace the collagen!
- fibers – choose or rotate with psyllium, ground flax seed, prebiotic fiber blend such as Garden of Life Prebiotic fiber. I choose to use all 3 or rotate. Psyllium is cheap and effective. Flax is helpful with hormone regulation in the gut. Prebiotic fiber is important if you are working on improving your gut flora balance (which also affects hormone regulation and so much more).
How I Do It
I have a bunch of half-pint canning jars with plastic lids that I measure up and use for about 10-day batches. Each morning I mix the powder with almond milk and drink it down before I eat any food, as I’m taking supplements in pill form.
I have to split this in two different batches because I don’t want to sensitize my immune system to these ingredients (more easily happens to me as I’m aging). I alternate days with shake #1 and #2. You could combine shakes #1 and #2 if you have no inflammation, allergies, etc. Here’s how I do it:
Shake Day 1
- 1 Tbsp. Ultimate Superfood Fusion
- 1-2 tsp. of Psyllium (NOW brand)
- 1 Tbsp. collagen (contains a lot of glycine, so add Inositol…)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. Inositol powder–everyone will need a different dosage. For some mood problems like OCD and anxiety, dosages can be 2g up to 18 g per day! I’m starting small as all I want is a calming effect on my lower level symptoms. I read that it’s good to take the Inositol with the glycine, which is a major component of collagen.)
- Ashwagandha – amount of a capsule.
- potato starch (pre-biotic)
- Probiotics (PBX)
- MCT Oil
Shake Day 2
- 1 Tbsp. Orgain or Vega protein shake powder, vanilla (made with pea protein) or whey protein – most people should use whey protein
- 1-3 tsp. ground flax seed
- 1 Tbsp. collagen from a different animal source than Shake #1 (contains a lot of glycine, so add Inositol…)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. Inositol powder, or whatever your personal dosage is
- Ashwagandha – amount of a capsule
- 1-3 tsp. Garden of Life Prebiotic fiber
- Probiotics (PBX) or take the shake in same meal containing fermented foods
- MCT Oil
- Optional: rose hips, amla, acerola, or camu camu
And, I don’t worry about doubling up on the ashwagandha if I happen to want to make the Adrenal Support Tea, which I think is actually a better way to get the benefits of ashwagandha. I put the Ashw. in the Shakes #1 and #2 in order to ensure that I am getting at least some of it every day.