My new integrative doctor gave me the following directives to reduce stress and calm my nervous system.
- Do the 4-7-8 breathing cycle 4x TWICE per day. This stretches the vagal nerve and reduces parasympathetic response. And, it’s quick. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/VDR00112/The-4-7-8-Breath-Benefits-and-Demonstration.html
- She also recommended these free meditation podcasts from KaiserPermanente. Much better if you download the MP3 because if you’re listening to one longer than 20 minutes via the website it will cut off. Especially:
- -anic attacks and anxiety – esp. Body Scan
- Stress – esp. Walking Meditation
- some aerobic exercise several times per week.